Contact the Utah Bureau of Vital Statistics and Registrars to make the change. You can do this in person or by mail. The postal process usually takes several weeks. You must provide a certified copy of the court order. Unless the judge orders you to notify your ex-spouse or anyone else (which is rare), you do not need to tell anyone about your application to the court to change your name. Multnomah County residents can legally change their names through the Multnomah County Circuit Court. Please contact the Circuit Court directly for copies of court records proving a legal name change. The first step in the name change process is to apply for certification from the Utah Department of Corrections` Offender Registration Program that indicates whether you are on the Sex and Abduction Registry or the Child Abuse Offender Registry. Complete the form and send it with a stamped envelope to the Offender Registration Program at the address indicated on the form. If you do not attach a stamped envelope, the Offender Registration Program will not return the form to you.

It may take some time for the Offender Registration Program to complete the form and return it to you. Be sure to provide your new name to both the Social Security Administration and your employer to ensure that your employer correctly reports your income and that it is properly recorded in Social Security records. It is important to note that the above information only applies to name changes approved by the court(s) of succession and family. Many people changed their names informally and did not register the change with the state government. Immigrants` names may have been anglicized or spelling slightly altered upon arrival in the United States, but these changes are generally not documented. Name changes for naturalized citizens may be mentioned in their naturalization documents. However, just because you`re using a new name, the rest of the world (especially institutions and public bodies) may want to see legal proof of your new name. Legal documents such as a marriage certificate or court order may be needed to prove your name change. There are several reasons why you may want to change your name, including: A certified copy of the court order to change your name can be obtained from the court that made the order.

The Social Security office is a place that requires official proof of a name change. The motor vehicle department is different. This way, you can get a new Social Security card and a state ID card. A new ID that shows your real name makes it easier for you to use your new name. If you want your name officially changed on your birth certificate, or for other businesses such as banks, you will also need to provide a certified copy of your name change. People change their names for many different reasons, including aversion to their first name. Previously, it was possible to change your name using it: use a fairly long name and it will simply become your official name. Although this is still technically possible in many states, it is no longer practical. In these days of identity theft, most government agencies like Social Security and Homeland Security accept nothing more than a legal name change.

If you are divorcing, you can ask the judge to issue a formal order in your divorce decree to restore your old name or maiden name. The judgment must clearly indicate the name of the married woman and the name that will be returned to you after the divorce. If your divorce decree includes this order, it is the only court order you need to change your identification and records. Certified copy of name change: This is a document often requested by organizations that require proof of your new name.3 min read After receiving a court order to change your name, you can change the name on your birth certificate if you wish. You will need more than a copy of the court order changing your name, as you will want to send one to the institutions you are dealing with to make your name change official in their files. Start with the motor vehicle department and get a new license. After that, send documents to Social Security and receive a card in your new name. After that, you probably won`t have much trouble with other companies.

Teo Spengler acquired a J.D. from Boalt Hall at the University of California, Berkeley. As Assistant Attorney General in Juneau, she practiced before the Alaska Supreme Court and the U.S. Supreme Court before opening the plaintiff`s assault office in San Francisco. She holds master`s and master`s degrees in creative writing and enjoys writing blogs and legal articles. His work has been published in numerous online publications including USA Today, Legal Zoom, eHow Business, Livestrong, SF Gate, Go Banking Rates, Arizona Central, Houston Chronicle, Navy Federal Credit Union, Pearson,, and numerous attorney websites. Spengler shuttles between the French Basque Country and Northern California. Luckily for those who crave a new name, it`s not hard for an adult to legally and officially change their own name. You will need to file an application for court approval, and some general restrictions apply. The reason for your name change may not be something criminal or illegal, such as avoiding taxes or debts. And you may not get far if you choose the name of your favorite movie star or political figure.

The search for name change documents depends on why the person changed their legal name. If you are not looking for existing documents and wish to legally change your name by court order, contact the Multnomah County Circuit Court at (503) 988-3022 and follow the instructions for information on name changes. Consider contacting these individuals and institutions about your name change: Adults and children choose to change their name for a variety of reasons. Whatever the reason, we make it easy to get court approval for your name change. Once granted, you can officially use your new name for all government and financial documents. Prior to 1852, name changes were made by the court. Anyone interested in a legal name change petitioned the Legislative Assembly calling for the change. The petition and the resulting legislation are in the Massachusetts archives. The archives also contain petitions that have not received legislative approval. Contact the people and institutions you deal with and ask them what they need to formalize your name change in their records. Institutions such as banks, investment companies and insurance companies may ask you to fill out their own form and also need proof of identity.

If they change their name due to marriage, they may want to see your marriage certificate and other proof of identity, such as a driver`s license. To get a Social Security card with your new name, visit the Social Security Administration website. If you need a replacement copy of your official name change document, there are a few steps you need to follow. You are: If you get a legal name change in court, the name on your birth certificate does not change automatically. This process can only be done through the Change Unit of the Vital Statistics Office. You must submit a completed and signed request for correction, a fee of $50.00 in the form of a personal check or money order, payable to the State of Michigan in the United States. Money, a copy of your valid photo ID and a copy of the court order for documentation. The $50.00 fee includes a certified copy of the record of changes made. Additional copies cost $16.00 each when ordered at the same time.

To get a copy of your name change, you usually have a photocopy of the original document and then have it confirmed by an administrator. The certification process includes: For a more detailed overview of our name change process, click here. Some states require you to publish a notice of proposed name change to notify creditors and/or raise an objection. But most legitimate name changes are approved by the court without having to jump through too many hurdles. When the court case is over, you will receive a court decision that will change your name. Read more: How to post a petition for a name change Update other legal documents such as your will, living will, and financial power of attorney to display your new name. Certified copy of name change: This is a document often requested by organizations that need proof of your new name. This happens when you get married, divorced, adopted, or legally change your name in court. When you send the certified copy, the organization does not have to be responsible for keeping the original document. It can also be called a notarized copy. *The price does not include legal fees payable when you submit your name change documents. An adult can get a court order that legally changes their name.

You can choose whatever name you want, as long as you don`t intend to commit a crime and don`t interfere with the rights of others. If you changed your name when you married, but did not apply for your old name to be reinstated in the divorce case, you will need to file a name change application with the court. You have to go to the hearing. At the hearing, the judge may ask you questions about your name change application. The best way to access name change records is to contact Forensic Archivist Elizabeth Bouvier at (617) 557-1082. If you are looking for your own name change record, please see Get a copy of your probate records and your Family Court. There is a filing fee for an application for a change of name and a fee for a certified copy of the final order If you can`t afford the filing fee, you can ask the court to consider waiving the fee.

Rate this post